Russian Tea Biscuits: Our Long Lost Family Recipe

This could be my grandmother’s recipe for Russian Tea Biscuits. 
(But it’s not)

Lost.  So what if I have long lost relatives with histories I’ll never know?  Lost forever are the deepest roots of my father’s side of the family tree. How careless we were with stories never told, photographs never taken, holidays never shared, recipes for life never tasted. Hard as it is to imagine, I have first cousins in California I’ve never met.   (Hazel, Rozelyn, Sandra, where are you?
This is not a lament.  Growing up, I had all the privileges of a tight-knit family.  My sister and parents, my grandmother, uncles, aunts and cousins all lived in close proximity in Cleveland.  That’s just it. Like so many assimilated Jewish families -- orphans of history -  we had no family history to speak of beyond our grandparents’ generation.    This little I know: my ethnic origin is Russian.  There were pogroms. There was revolution.  There was a great aunt imprisoned in Siberia, and no doubt there was high drama in my grandparents coming to America at the turn of the 20th Century.  After all these years  all I’ve gathered is that my maternal grandfather was around 14 years old when he emigrated to this country with his older brothers. He was a tailor, a Union organizer,  a leader in the Cleveland community.  But I never knew him.  The only grandparent I had was my grandmother who came to America at an undisclosed age, a baby in her mother’s arms.  (The family was from Riga.  Latvia? Or Russia? Who knows what their ethnic origin was.)  In the kitchen? My grandmother broke every kosher rule in the book.  With delicious results.  
So. You want roots?  You plant yourself firmly where you want to grow.  You want tradition?  You start one yourself.  You want memories?  You improvise, you explore, you celebrate and create memories of your own.   Really, isn’t this what all generations must do?  

And so I made my own magic this week: rattling in the kitchen at 4:30 a.m. on a Tuesday. Taking out baking pans. Preheating the oven. Rolling pastry dough.  Chopping nuts and raisins. Slathering jam.  Making Russian tea biscuits to celebrate a birthday.  The birth day of my first grandchild.
Mason.  One day old. Happy in the world so far.      
So now that I’m a brand new grandma, Russian tea biscuits are the most natural “grandmotherly cookies” I know. Not to be mistaken for the more familiar powder-sugared Russian tea cakes, also known as Mexican wedding cakes, Russian tea biscuits look like giant ruggelah. Rolled like a strudel, not as rich, nor as sweet and flaky as the cream cheese pastry of classic ruggelah, the dough is cookie crumbly, almost like a scone. Truly a "hybread," that is to say a hybrid pastry.      
Searching for Russian tea biscuits, you won’t find them just anywhere. 
While their origin may be Eastern European, I’ve found no place that makes Russian tea biscuits better than Lax & Mandel Kosher Bakery in Cleveland, Ohio.   Lax & Mandel opens after sundown every Saturday, to bake through the night for the Sunday morning rush. If you go there around 11:30 p.m. -- you’re in for all manners of treats hot out of the oven.  But the best of all, and worth every bite,  are the tea biscuits, either fruit-filled or the chocolate nut variety.  I’m sure my grandmother made her own version of this scrumptious pastry, but I can't recall it, so wistful and vivid is my memory of Lax and Mandel and the wonders of their Russian Tea biscuits fresh out of their yeasty night kitchen.  
Is your mouth watering?  Based on a recipe I discovered in Five Star Sensations: Compiled and Edited by the Auxillary of University Hospitals of Cleveland -- here’s the best I can do for you:   
DOUGH
4 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 cup  (1 stick) margarine melted
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3 eggs, plus 1 yolk, reserving white
1/4 cup orange juice 
1 teaspoon grated orange rind
2 teaspoons vanilla
FILLING
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 to 1 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
1 1/2  to 2 cups Golden or Sultana raisins
Raspberry jam or any kind of preserves  
(Optional)
1/4 cup coconut 
lemon juice 
TOPPING
cinnamon
sugar
1 egg white
METHOD
Combine all dough ingredients, except the reserved egg white, and mix well. You should have a golden citrous-y mixture.  Divide dough into six balls and refrigerate overnight.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F
Grease cookie sheets
Combine ingredients for filling and mix well
Working with one dough ball at a time, roll out on a heavily floured board into a 6 to 7 inch square.  Spread raisins and jam, sprinkle with filling and roll up jelly-roll style.
Slice into 1 1/2 inch pieces and brush with beaten egg while.  Bake on prepared cookie sheets 30 to 35 minutes or until light brown. 
Remove from cookie sheets immediately, cool and enjoy.  
As for the batch of tea biscuits I baked last Tuesday morning, they’re in the freezer
(where they keep well). Next week, they’ll make their debut with kugel and bagels at the baby’s naming ceremony. . .a “first birthday party” of sorts.  
(Oh my, isn't he yummy?")   

As always, thanks for dropping by.  

Comments

  1. You missed the topping after egg white brushing instructions. "Sprinkle top with sugar and cinnamon."
    Great tasting tea biscuits. My mother used to buy them when I was a child, I missed them until now, I'm 72 yrs old and love making them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These were very good. Close to the dough I’ve been trying to find. Didn’t have raspberry jam so used strawberry which was fine. Used craisins since some in the family are anti raisin . Next time, personally I’d make these much larger since they aren’t really a “ cookie” but a pastry. This size is good for cookie size but usually they are much larger so next time I’ll try two strips 18” long and cut into 8 th. ( or 9” and cut in 4th) .

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts